Monday, March 30, 2015

STEREOTYPES OF POP MUSIC BY ELIZABETH OGUNFOLU



Pop music, I must say, is very broad based consisting of pop rock, power pop, Traditional pop music, Bubblegum pop., and there are so many more sub-genres we haven’t heard of before. They all have different beats, different meanings, and so much difference. From the likes of Madonna, The Beatles, Brenda Lee, Michael Jackson, and Brenda Fassie, we find amazing singers. They brought to us pop songs in different flavors. Pop is music you listen to and move your body and bop your head. You might say you dislike pop music, but are you kidding yourself? Ever listened to Katy Perry? Don’t you just love her and her song "Part of Me"? Even though the song sometimes tells us about personal issues, the beats rock.

Truth be told, I sometimes do not pay attention to the lyrics; I just bop my head to the beats. Pop isn’t always girly, as some people put it. I love songs that make me happy, and make me scream at the top of my lungs. Listening to a song that would make me sad or tear up is the last thing I would ever do. There is a special thing about pop, it uplifts my soul in so many ways. 

Pop music is thought to be songs that give off the issues the writer or artist is going through. Taylor Swift, we all believed, created a song for every heartbreak she went through. But I must say, I disagree, she had the emotions to create new art whenever she was down, and she is one of the most artistic persons I have ever heard. To create a song you don’t have to be heartbroken or sad, you just put out all the lyrics that match up to your emotions. 

Listening to pop music doesn’t define who we are. We all assume that our musical preference tells us what underneath the surface. Assuming a person looks a certain way based on the music they play or listen to, is inaccurate. We all listen to different genres of music, but our appearance doesn’t give it off. Take Pink, for example; listening to her song without seeing her you might think the song is just pop rock but merely looking at her, she looks like a rock singer. We all are quite different and so is our taste in music.

People think the lyrics of pop music are only about heartbreak and women as sex symbols, but I disagree. We all seem to assume this, based on the images seen, but we do not listen to the lyrics or the message behind it. BeyoncĂ©’s song “Pretty Hurts” shows women in little clothing but gives off a deep message of female empowerment. However, I believe artists sometimes try to make their music videos about sexually explicit things to catch the attention of the audience. 

Pop music creates a bond between familiar people and strangers. Singing pop song with a bunch of people I have observed creates a great bond or maybe friendship. All I can say is that, we all have the choice to listen to what we want, and not be criticized about it. I love pop music and I know I’ll love it till the end. Call me crazy fan, I don’t care but seriously pop is the bomb. This are my favorite songs.

brenda fassie - vulindlela

Kelly Clarkson - Heartbeat Song

Jessie J - Masterpiece

 

3 comments:

  1. Great post Elizabeth. I am not the biggest pop fan because I feel that they are too emotional. However, I understand that it is a great talent to be able to put your emotions into a song. That is what makes these artists so admirable. I would agree with you when you said people can come together and sing pop songs. I believe pop is one of the most recognizable music genres. Overall I enjoyed your post about pop music. I can see your passion behind your interest in the genre! It is awesome.
    - Adam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now a majority of the music i listen to is on the heavier side, but i wont lie, i can get down to some Katy Perry. The flow he has and the rhythms of the songs just have the vide where you want to get up and dance. Now being a guy, i can usually refrain from doing it, but i can boogie a little.
    I honestly didn't expect there to be more than one genre, or sub genre of pop music. Most of it sounds the same to me, but that is obviously a stereotype. Im familiar with a few of the examples listed, but i had no idea there was a genre classified as "bubblegum pop". To me that sounds like something you would hear in a Tokyo club, or something of that type.
    I noticed that a majority of the pop i have heard is usually a female. So it appears to be a female dominant genre, which isn't an issue, but it shows the dividing line. Pop vocals seem to have a girly way about them, something that you wouldn't hear a motorcycle thug listening to, but probably the average person on the radio.
    With all that being said, i didn't know how many genres were within the one, but i will try to pick out the different kinds if i hear something within the guidelines.
    -Bobby McNamara

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your post! I really was glad to see how you feel about stereotypes and I agree that music does not define us. It may tell you or shed some insight on a person but even that's not always true. The lyrics may give you some type of idea of a person but some people just like the beat of a song. We shouldnt judge one another with music of choice but sometimes its hard to kill the stereotypes that lie within ourselves and society.

    Zari Gary

    ReplyDelete