Wednesday, April 8, 2015

R&B Stereotypes By Adam Jacob


One of the misconceptions about R&B music is that it is solely based around sex and feelings. R&B has always been my go to genre of music because the songs are soulful and I feel that I can easily connect to the music. People do not give R&B a chance because they feel it is “ghetto.” They probably do not know all of the history behind the genre.

R&B has been known to go hand in hand with rap. These genres started because of the hardships African American individuals went through.  They would express themselves though music, called soul music. Soul music is where R&B is derived from. A good example of powerful soul music is A Change is Gonna Come by Sam Cooke. From this era of soul music came what we consider R&B.

With all the history that comes with R&B, it puts me in an instant “feel good” mood. I love to just drive around in my car blasting this music. If I have friends over and we are just chilling, we are always listening to some type of R&B. Some of my favorite artists include Drake, Chris Brown, Jeremiah and K CAMP.

So now I am going to break down the stereotypes. Don’t get me wrong; there are plenty of R&B songs that could be considered baby making music. However, there is a broader spectrum to the genre. There are songs like Show Me, See You Again, and Ride Out. The genre of R&B is broad. There is a powerful song for any type of mood you are in.

People would never look at me and think that I listen to this type of movie. They associate R&B with individuals who are emotional. There is a strong stereotype where people think African American people are the only people who listen to this genre. This makes me upset because that is just like saying only country people can listen to country music.

With this blog post, I hope I was able to shed some light on R&B music. I encourage all of you to go onto iTunes and look up different R&B songs. You might be surprised what you find.  

6 comments:

  1. Honestly, I must say some R&B isn't my favorite genre of music to listen to, but it does have very interesting qualities about it. Listening to Charlie puth's see you again is very soul cleansing. I totally agree with you about people thinking R&B is only restricted to African Americans.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. None of these sterotypes are fair. Its unfair for people to think only blacks can dominate this genres. although it was started by blacks, theres room for everyone to enjoy and contribute. There are some R&B artists that are whitelike Robin Thicke, who is a very talented and souful artist. So really you can listen and create any music you want, thats our right. I happen to also love R&B music also Adam!

    Zari Gary

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I have friends over and we are just chilling, we are always listening to some type of R&B. Jim

    ReplyDelete