Monday, April 13, 2015

Stereotypes Associated with Country Music by Sami Ahrens

The big stereotype associated with country music is that it's just about heartbreak or love. People assume that this type of music is just "sappy" and/or depressing or uninteresting. Therefore, they don't give it a chance. I'm going to show that not all country music fits the stereotype.

A lot of early country music did start out about being about love or heartbreak. For example, Something Like That by Tim McGraw is a song about being in love in the summer time. People who believe in the stereotypes probably wouldn't want to listen to that song. They also wouldn't want to listen to any of Taylor Swift's first album.

Now I am going to "debunk the myth" by giving examples of songs that don't fit the stereotype about country music. My first example is Red Camaro by Rascal Flatts. This song is just about looking back on the good times and enjoying the memories. Lots of other genres of music have songs about that type of stuff. My next example is I Will Always Love You by Dolly Parton. A lot of people do not know that Dolly Parton was the original writer/singer of the famous Whitney Houston song. This proves that country music can be interesting sometimes.

I don't really listen to a lot of country music, but I hope that this blog post has made people look at this genre of music as not just "sappy and boring". Country music isn't just about heartbreak or love.

3 comments:

  1. First of all Dolly Parton is amazing. I am not a huge fan of country songs but I listen to it sometimes. I find Lady Antebellum and The Band Perry quite interesting. I must say country song has a way of growing on you, when you listen to it. Amazing blog post.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. When it comes to country music, I will admit that i feel like there are a lot of boo hoo sappy sad songs. But there are also musicians that I enjoy, like Florida Georgia Line, because of there upbeat songs. It would be hard to try and look past the fact that a huge majority of the songs in the country music genre are sad, but there are quite a bit of songs that i would like to find if they are upbeat.

    Bobby McNamara

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Sammy. Im no huge country fan either but I also enjoy some of Loretta Lynn's music. I first got introduced to her by watching the movie A Cold Miner's Daughter. The title of the movie is also one of her songs that tells about her life as one of many children. Not all country is about the same stuff.

    Zari Gary

    ReplyDelete